Saturday, September 12, 2009

Spiral Bonding

Weird title,huh?

Well, I got this pattern, ruler and great fabric and decided to take a break from Dave's quilt and sew up these spiral table runner thingys.

Here is one all done. This is the varigated thread I'm going to stipple it with tomorrow (cause we're off to the car races tonight).

And here is a large shot of it all done. I'm making two of them. One in these teal colors and the other in purple Asian fabrics. Now, normally, I dislike Asian fabric, but in this case I am making an exception.

Oh, the bonding part. I've had my Singer 222 since March and I haven't sewed much with it because it's seems stiff and not smooth at all. Husband said it's because it's in such pristine condition, that it isn't "broken in yet". So, I decided to remedy that.

I took it out the other day and oiled/lubed all the right spots and set it up next to my Bernina. I'm sewing with it to break it in and it actually is alot smoother than I remember. Here is the other colorway fabric I'm using for that spiral thing.


This tablerunner look simple, but actually they are not for the faint of heart. You need a long 10 degree ruler and then you've got to cut all these wedge shapes. Now I'm right handed, so the right hand side of the ruler and the top are easy. But trying to cut the left side of the ruler is not fun.
I guess after two of these, I'll be better at it.




Another shot of "Pete" (named for the man I bought him from). Now to just keep him out and sew with him often to loosen him up is just the trick I need.
Hope you are all having a great weekend. Our summer weather is holding on. Right now, 6:20pm, it's 90 degrees. Take care.



1 comment:

catspec said...

BEAUTIFUL quilting and machine Donna! Love your work.