Sunday, June 21, 2009

Machines Everywhere!

The herd so far. I think it's fifteen and counting.

Above is my 1927 Singer model 66 treadle.

And here is my "second" sewing room. All three machines with cabinets put in there. It's a very small space but much appreciated. From left to right and forefront is my 1941 Singer 201-2, my 1961 Singer 500A (Rocketeer) and the 1927 Singer 66 treadle (shown above).

Old faithful, my Bernina 150QE. Totally faithful. But one day she will die and I doubt I'll replace her with another computerized machine. I'm simply having too much fun with these mechanical Singers that I can fix myself. So long Bernina dealer (and tons of money), hello DIY!



Another machine I reach for time and time again, my 1951ish Singer 301A. It's almost always on the table next to the Bernina.




This baby is the newest to the herd. A 1922 Singer 99K. No big deal, right? They made millions of them, right? But wait! This one is special. She's one in 8,000 made in 1922 that's made out of aluminum. I haven't done all the research yet, so I don't know how many aluminum 99's are out there. But I have a hunch 1922 was the only year. Just don't quote me on that yet. I haven't cleaned her up. This is how she came with a nice bentwood case with the Singer decal on the lid. Her base needs a little gluing, but so what? She's as light as a feather. Can't wait to dig in and rewire her. She's def. going to need it.




And last...the ensemble. From left to right, my 1961 Singer 222 (freearm), Whitey the 1964 Singer 221 featherweight, the 1954 Singer featherweight I inherited from my mother and a centennial featherweight I am fixing to sell.
I know. That's no where near the fifteen I listed at the beginning. But it's a herd. And they all have a good home and are all being used.


I posted this because Debbie recently acquired a great 1916 Singer 66 treadle (the Red Eye) and we've been emailing each other about care/cleaning. It's gotten me totally excited about my machines again. Not that I never was excited about the herd, but you know what I mean. Keep an eye on her blog for updates on how she's coming along with that machine. Phew, was her machine a mess! Keep cleaning, Debbie, and enjoy!




3 comments:

Rhoto said...

Hi Donna!!
Nice to hear from ya!! Do your babies have names?? What a big brood you have, eh!! Enjoy!
Soft hug,
Rhonda in Montreal (PR)

Debbie Cook said...

Oh sure ... tempt me by saying you have a FW for sale!! Nice collection of old and new and in-between.

catspec said...

WOW....beauties!!
M;)