Monday, September 1, 2008

More Mystery Quilt

This has been so much fun, I just have to share it with you. If you read my last post, I'm doing a Labor Day mystery quilt from Bonnie Hunter's website, Quiltville. She's done these step by step mystery quilts before, but I've never been able to join in. Something was always happening. But this weekend, I decided to jump right in.

So, first up I had to make one gazillion four patches. Light/dark colorways and no browns. No problem. Then I had to make two gazillion half square triangles and sew these up as pinwheels. Both of these blocks measure 3.5 inches unfinished. Now, the interesting thing about the pinwheels is you had to have each pinwheel the same color but each blade had to be a different fabric. For example, in the photo below on the right are my pinwheels lined up and ready to sew into bricks. The top pinwheel is green in colorway, but each green is a different fabric. Very cool. Also in the picture is Gadget's cat bed because she likes to lay right there and watch me and doze off as she's allowed AND my Singer 301. It has been humming right along sewing these up.

Here are the "bricks" sewed up. There are only half a gazillion of these. Now the special thing about these is the four patches HAVE to go a certain way, as shown in the picture. Also, I forgot to mention that all the pinwheels have to turn the same direction. Mine do. (*phew*)


Then I had to cut up bunch of brown/black/rust/dark tan 3.5 x 6.5 bricks, as shown below.


Then step four is laying them on the design wall and sewing them together. This is what I'll be doing today, my day off.



As you can see, the end brown bricks will be cut even, so there will be no zig zagged edge. Can you see it taking shape?

I have to tell you that this is SO much fun. Now, interestingly, I never minded cutting up and sewing all those four patches and pinwheels because I simply didn't know what this quilt was going to look like. So, it was no big deal to me to sew them up.

But honestly, if I was to look at this quilt all finished, I might not sew it up because I can hear myself saying "look at all those four patches and pinwheels...yuck".

So, you see how much fun a mystery quilt is? I might never have sewed this one up if I had seen the end product. So cool!

When I get this done, I'll post a final picture. Take care and I hope everyone is having a safe Labor Day holiday. Pray for those being affected by Gustav. They need our prayers.

3 comments:

Pippilotta said...

Wow,

you will have him finished, just in the time, Bonnie has posted the last step.

I like your colours, mine will be more remaining at Indian Summer.

Yours,

Marion

Rhoto said...

Oh, so COOOLLL, Donna!! Like you're in the passenger seat, following where the driver is going, eh!!
Soft hug,
Rhonda in Montreal (PR)

MadeByAmanda said...

Oh wow, that quilt looks way too complicated for me.