Thursday, July 31, 2008

Clunky, Rebirtha and New Babies

Busy, busy, busy. That is now my new middle name! I cannot believe how fast the Summer is flying, too. Sheesh.

Ok, this is just a small part of what I've been doing lately. Our church is having a Backyard Bible School. It's just like a VBS, but held outside in a city park. Our church has two puppets they use with the kids to teach them Bible stories. Clunky and Rebirtha. I did not name them. Do NOT email me. Clunky is described as a boy in kindergarten for the 5th year in a row. He normally gets things wrong. Blessedly, he has Rebirtha to set him straight.

This year's theme is cars. And not the Pixar movie cars, either. Just cars. The pastor wanted me to sew up a couple of "car" shirts for these two. Now, Clunky only has a torso and Rebirtha has a whole body. He is a size 3 in a little boys shirt and she's a 24 mos in RTW. Below is what I came up with. The secretary at church loved them! She squealed when she saw them, too.

Next are my two new favorite machines. The first is Singer's 301. Mocha, short bed for you Singer techies out there. She sounds just like my featherweight, but is much faster. No wonder they call it "the featherweight on steroids"! Here is an "after" picture. After the "spa treatment". Her name is Ethel. Don't ask me. Months ago she told me her name and that was long before I saw her. A friend sold her to me and it took me about 4 months to get to the other side of the state to pick her up. In the meantime, Ethel told me her name. Go figure. I don't normally name my machines.


And for some equally strange reason, below is Steven. I know, he should be "Rocky", but he's Steven. I can't help it.

Got my Singer 500 Rocketeer off Craigslist for $40. He came with the same desk my 401 came with. So, now I have two desks and I'm not using either because I have a sewing room where they won't fit. He is in pristine condition. One minor flaw on the light cover. Other than that, he is beautiful! And both my 301 and 500 are a delight to sew with. Right now, they are center stage in my sewing room with my Bernina and Singer 185 stowed in another room. *gasp*

I've been sewing for the quilt shop and sewing for a gal who works at the quilt shop and trying to sew for myself here and there. But it isn't working out too well.

My family reunion was July 18 and DH's family reunion is this Saturday. I can't wait. His family is so nice and it's the second time we've gotten together. Last year was the first time my DH had met almost ALL of his cousins. Weird family, but hey! They're together now, and that's all that matters. I'll post pics after his reunion. Get both families with one post!

Take care!

4 comments:

Rhoto said...

Hi Donna!
NICE to hear from ya!! Knew you were busy...
I have two machines at home, eh... HOW do you decide/WHEN do you use your "other" machines?? Or are they just loved adorements in your Sewing Studio, like mine??
Soft hug,
Rhonda in Montreal (PR)

MadeByAmanda said...

I want one of those Rocketeer sewing machines. Not that I have room for one, but they just look so cool!

Heather said...

I love reading your posts, and I've fallen in love with vintage Singers recently! I've been lucky enough to find a 503a on Craigslist for myself, and I marvel at how quiet and beautifully it runs! I confess that I'm hoping to find a 401a for a 500 now for my Mom since I've been raving about my Rocketeer to her (!!), and after reading posts and seeing pictures of these gorgeous 301s (especially that glossy black!), I find myself haunting Craigslist for one of those as well. I'm glad I have an understanding husband (so far!), though perhaps he's not aware of just how hopelessly in love I am! :)

Bonnie said...

Hi Donna! If you change your email preferences in your profile, I would have been able to just reply to the comment you left on my page without having to come searching for you! When I hit reply to your comment it says "no-reply@blogger.com" :cÞ

I love your singer machines! I just brought home a WONDERFUL Singer 328A in a cabinet this week! I didn't post about it yet....but I love her!

As to your question on the pinwheels..As long as all of yours go in ONE DIRECTION you will be fine!

With Every Good Wish,
Bonnie