Friday, May 9, 2008

Nothing But Sewing

First a big thank you for those who left compliments and well wishes. I appeciate them AND you!

I have obviously not blogged in a while, because I've been busy with the following:

This first shirt is for DH for our family reunion. The theme this year is a Luau. If you knew my husband like I do, you would know he would never be caught dead in an Hawaiian flower-dy shirt. But last year I found this great cotton/rayon at fabric.com and bought it for him. I washed it and folded it and then showed it to him saying "you only have to wear it for one day". He actually said "ok". So here it is.
This is the same shirt pattern I have always used for men's shirts. Simplicity 7330 OOP. I just scarfed one up on eBay this week for a paltry $3.45 including shipping. My pattern is about worn out even though I've traced it and put most of it on posterboard. Also, because this "surfer" shirt (that's what it actually is, right?) is only going to be worn one day by DH, I am giving it to my girlfriend who wants it. And the pattern is for her too, actually, after I make another tracing!

This is the first time I've done this convertible collar style. I've always only ever done the collar band/stand type. And I hate them. I have Kenneth King's book, video and Margaret Islander's video, and I have YET to sew up a collar like they do. I just have to buckle down and cut fake necklines and collars and stands and P-R-A-C-T-I-C-E. Yeah right.

This shirt below is actually the first shirt sewn. I didn't want to ruin the rayon print if I struggled with this collar type. But it was a cinch and I actually PREFER it to the collar stand shirts. Too bad the men in my life don't like it. DH thought it was a blouse. But that is partly because it's on my dressform. I wish I could make my son's long sleeved partly western style shirts with this collar. Maybe in the next "batch" I make for him, I'll slip one in and see if he notices!


Oh, the best part is I was able to talk DH into snaps instead of buttons. I showed him these from snapsource that look like buttons but are snaps. I think if you double click on the picture, you can see it. They are great and now I need to reorder them. I hadn't put any on the surfer shirt when I snapped the pic, but they're on it now. The ones on the striped shirt are antique brass and the ones on the surfer shirt are antique silver. Both look great and are a snap to put on (pun intended).

Below is the famous Amy Butler Weekender Bag that the people on pattern review have said was very difficult. I read each review and then the only change I made was to cut my bias strips for the piping wider than what the pattern calls for. They say cut them 1 1/2 inches wide, but I went 2 1/4 inches wide and then trimmed it after sewing. Much easier to handle that way and I was amazed at how NOT difficult this bag was to make. I'm ready to jump in and make one for myself. This one is at my local quilt shop on display.


And lastly...a pillow. In fact, it's actually a neck pillow and was so simple to make. Three pieces of fabric (8x14). Sew them together but leave an opening for stuffing. Loops on ends are optional. This also was done for my local quilt shop using a pattern they gave me, but honestly, you could do it all on your own just by looking at the sample I sewed. I hand stitched the opening closed and did it on the prequilted/chenille side where the hand stitches disappear into the chenille.


My work week went much better this week. We were starting a HUGE jury trial yesterday. I had 43 witnesses to try and figure out how to schedule so that not too many of them sat all day upstairs waiting to be called. Fortunately, the case settled at the last minute and I got to call all my witnesses off. Phew!

I hope everyone has a great weekend. It looks like it's finally Spring around here and DH and I are planning a round of golf Saturday. Take care and God Bless.

Happy Mother's Day! Call or hug your mother Sunday. Tell her that you love her and mean it!

1 comment:

Rhoto said...

"I'm ready to jump in and make one for myself." MIGHT be easier to construct "sans toi" inside, eh!! Tee! Hee!
Your bag is GORGEOUS!!
Soft hug,
Rhonda in Montreal