Sunday, March 2, 2008

Crazy Starz

Well, I blogged about one of these quilts in my February 2nd entry, but I've since done another quilt from this pattern, so I thought I'd share both with you AND the pattern.

It's called Crazy Starz by Cindi Rang. If you're a regular reader, you know she owns my local quilt shop and graciously lets me sew up the shop samples. You can't imagine the deal I have with her. She phones me up and says..."Donna, can you come by? I have a project for you". I rush down there (break or lunchtime or after work, whichever is closest) and she hands me a lovely bundle of fabric and a pattern or book and tells me what she wants. I absolutely LOVE it. And it's funny, because SHE thinks she's getting the better deal. Yeah right! I get to sew with beautiful fabric and patterns. There is always a challenge to the projects she gives me. The "deal" is, I get to keep the pattern (even if it's a book!) and any extra fabric. I get the experience of sewing something I wouldn't normally sew for myself AND I don't keep the finished project. Most times I don't want it, just the experience of sewing it up. And she gets a shop sample basically for free (minus the pattern/book). It's a great arrangement.


Here is the first quilt I sewed with the pattern. These batiks are all Diamond Textiles batiks and they are drop dead gorgeous. This one was a crib sized quilt with lighter starz and dark background AND noodles. See the loops around the border? They are noodles! Now, you have to be careful putting these on a crib quilt obviously. But they look great on this small one here.




And I started this one below yesterday and finished it today. It's a larger quilt, throw size. And, it's dark starz on light background. Don't know what they're going to have me do for borders yet, if any, but it's complete as she gave it to me.

The pattern has two different sized starz in it. The small ones are 7 " and the large ones are 14".

And lest I forget to include a cat picture, here is Gadget loving my Bernina! Sometimes it's difficult to get any sewing done when she's in this mood.


I'm still sewing up quilts for RJR and they are keeping me plenty busy, but I played hookie this weekend and sewed up Crazy Starz for Cindi. It was a nice break.

Hope you all have a great week! God bless.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Donna, you are one talented quilt maker!

I agree - I think you got the fabulous end of the deal, too. I always enjoy making something just for the sake of making it. It doesn't bother me one bit to give it away.

Bev

Marji said...

Wow, those are intricate patterns. Are you doing the cutting too? or is she handing you cut pieces? Are you quilting them too?
You do realize that this is another form of 'working in the background'?
The very best business arrangement is when both parties feel they have the best end of the deal - then it is probably fair.

Donna Hodgson said...

Bev,
I ALWAYS love your comments and am neglectful in telling you so. I'm sorry. Promising to do better.

Donna Hodgson said...

Marji,
I answered your comment in an email to you, I believe.

Ladies,
That thread on PR about what's good in a blog was an eye opener. I think I'll go back and reread it. Thanks.