Sunday, December 30, 2007

Seasoned Quilter Wallhanging

Well to keep me really busy these past months, I've been sewing up a storm for my local quilt shop. Below is a wallhanging designed by Amy Bradley. It's called Seasoned Quilter and she's a tall gal. Her hands are sewn on top of the wallhanging and the fingers cover an "eye" of a hook and eye set. Then you make these smaller 11x13 inch banners to hang on her so it looks like she's holding them. I had a lot of fun working with this one because I really got to dig in my scrap bags for her. The quilt shop gave me the background, border and backing. All of the "gal" is from my scraps. (Remember, click on the picture to enlarge for detail). I need to take a picture of her holding one or two of these "banners". She's already at the quilt shop, but when they put her on display, I'll take a pic for here. Sorry folks.

Here is the first one (not quilted yet). The "welcome" banner comes with the pattern above. They're a complete set. The other months/holidays you buy separately. Again, these are all done totally with my scraps. It takes a half yard for the background, backing and binding.


So I finished the "woman" and the welcome banner in November or early December and then decided I'd better get Santa done for display at the quilt shop during December to help them sell patterns. I am not a Santa person, but I loved doing him. His beard is white batting and I bling'd his eyes blue!


Then, next comes Valentine's Day. This one below looks totally different from the one on the pattern. But that one didn't have ANY red on it and when I think Valentine's Day, I think red! So...I made it red. (Think I have control issues???) :)

And last for now is Easter's banner. These two bunnies are really cute and I bling'd their eyes, too! My girlfriend took one look at their smiles and had to have one. So I told her to go buy me 1/2 yard of that green background and I'd make her one exactly like this one. Got it done in one evening! She will love it. She's just going to put it on the wall without the woman appearing to hold it.



So, this is what's been keeping me busy up to and through the holidays. That and other quilts I'm making for a major quilt fabric manufacturer.

Next up will be St. Patrick's Day, then Halloween and Thanksgiving. I've still got Fourth of July to do, but I think the pattern is ugly and so will use the pattern, but totally change the colors like I did with Valentine's Day.

Wishing you all a very Happy New Year. Stay safe!

6 comments:

Rhoto said...

WOW! And WOW! again!! Did ya sleep? Eat? Do laundry? AWESOME work, Donna!! Very professionally made!! Really cute, too!!

Rhoto said...

Hi Donna!!
DH & I wanted to know how big the Tall Gal is!!
RHOTO

Donna Hodgson said...

She's at the quilt shop but the pattern says she measures 31x53. Thanks.

Charisma said...

Those are so darling! I am glad you are keeping busy, it helps you forget about me.....I miss you! next week I will be done and I will be able to start planning things with you.

Bev (BjP) said...

Donna, that is one fabulous quilt! I love it! Those extra banners are such a great addition, too.

I'd love to make/have/hang that! Great job!

Connie Bontje said...

Those are so adorable!