Saturday, November 24, 2007

TShirts and Thanksgiving

...And not necessarily in that order. Wow, I sure love these four day weekends. Need to have more of them. I've been getting a TON of sewing done.

On PatternReview there are a lot of women who have made the Ottobre 2-2006 t shirts. They've been raving about them, so I bought the magazine and started in. Now, mind you, I already have a TNT tshirt (Vogue 8151). In fact, I have two TNT tshirts (and New Look 6730), but I have minor problems with them both.

The Vogue has a bust dart (not always fun to put in a knit, but it's doable) and the New Look has a center back seam (which can be eliminated) for shaping. I love them both. But I would like to combine them and have no back seam and no bust dart. Sounds easy, but it isn't always. Besides, again, others have raved about this Ottobre top, so here is my first one below:



That fabric was $2/yd at StuffMart. The end of the bolt said "polyester" but it's positively a cotton interlock. Not the greatest of recovery, but very nice and I love the color. It's a pretty deep burgundy with black dots. Not bad for a $4 shirt. But as you can see on Annie, the front is a bit too baggy. I don't have a tummy (thank you, Lord) and so I don't need that fullness there.

The next top is a nice crinkle knit I got from fabric.com. At the same time, I bought a ribbing knit to make a top out of, but discovered the colors are a perfect match, so I used it to bind the neckline. I've never done this technique, so it was strange. I double folded the binding as if I were applying it in the flat and stitched it to the right side. Then I folded it all the way under and stitched in the ditch on the front. It gives it a bit of a rolled binding look. I'm happy with it. But again, as you can see the front is baggy. And I cut the pattern down on the side seams.


So, here's my question for you out there who are reading this and can offer advice: Can't I just lay my front piece on the fold and pivot it out at the bottom so that the bottom hem of the center front lies an inch or so beyond the fold? (Did that make sense?)

This pattern is almost identical to the Vogue and New Look fronts. I can't understand where that extra fabric is coming from. I can't simply take it in more on the side seams, can I? Can't I remove the extra from the center front? The width at the neckline and chest is perfect.

Also...I hate the sleeves on both the Vogue and NL. The shoulder cap is so severe I have to sew basting stitches to ease it on the garment. I hate that. The Ottobre did NOT require that and for that reason I loved that pattern. I just need to figure out the bulk in the front.

Also, on that awesome website are online classes to take. Now, I've been a member for almost 3 years and have NEVER signed up for a class and have been wanting to. So...last night I signed up for the "Build a Better TShirt" class. I got a discount because I'm a member and it starts January 7 (right before my bday). I'm excited about learning how to...obviously...make a better tshirt.

So, for the last picture, I used TNT Vogue 8151 with the dart. I bought this fabric from Gorgeous Things and have wanted to sew it up since I bought it but was afraid. I didn't know what pattern to use, etc. I'm not very stylish, so I wasn't going to make a tunic top. I finally decided to just make a nice shell for work.

As you can see, I haven't sewn the side seams yet. I want to make this a 3/4 sleeve, too, like the blue one above. (The white turtleneck in the picture on Annie is her body cover) Because I used the Vogue pattern, this one won't have any bulk at the front. It does have bust darts, but it's a nice knit and will be ok.

I have also been sewing for Cindy of the quilt shop. I'll show it to you tomorrow.

Oh yes, before I forget. Thanksgiving. I found a few hours out of my day Thursday to head to the kitchen and whip up a small turkey dinner. Small, because there's just two of us here and it was a Butterball rolled turkey chest (we don't use the "b" word) roast. Of course, with all the trimmings. Delicious.

Have a Blessed weekend all!

2 comments:

Rhoto said...

Oh, can I identify... NOT!! Need extra for my ROUND middle with ROUND tummy!! This going to University is FATTENING!! Huge peanut butter cookie & coffee afterwards--need some Protein, eh!!
NICE tops, Donna!! And, ya got done what you said you're were gonna do!!
Soft hug,
Rhonda (who's STILL "working on" DH's vest... ;)

BjP said...

You lost me at "I don't have a tummy"......heh heh. I haven't seen my waistline in years.

That being said, I sometimes get the extra fabric in that area, but for me it's because I got lazy and didn't do an FBA. So, if it fits in the chest area, then it's gonna be too big the rest of the way down. Don't know if that's your problem, but worth mentioning.

Bev