Sunday, October 28, 2007

Heart Bargello: Part 1

Next up on the quilting scene is a quilt called Melinda's Heart. It's more commonly called "Heart Bargello". I looked up the word bargello...."to hand stitch in a zig zag pattern". That was not the definition I would have given a bargello. So, it shows you I'm no Noah Webster.



I wanted a wallhanging to put on my "new" living room walls which were recently painted brown. I also wanted to "shop my stash". So, after having Cindy Rang (Fabric Patch owner) help me (Thanks Cindy!), I present to you these fabrics below and the pattern. Cindy bundled them all up for me in a nice presentation package, even though 9 of the 16 fabrics are mine!







Below, here they are all laid out and numbered. The numbering on this quilt is essential to success. The lightest are the creams which slowly turn green which slowly turns dark green, which slowly turns brown till they end up light brown again.



Picking the colors for this quilt is really challenging. Hence, Cindy's help was needed.



Ok, I've followed the instructions "to the letter" and cut my strips. Here they all are on my sewing machine extension bed.


They look so nice, all in order and what not. I can't resist constantly looking at them.



So, below I've sewed my "panels". The largest set is colors 1-16 (all of them). They're on the bottom left. On the top are the darks....numbered 7-13-8. IOW, strips numbered 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8. In that order. And the last panel not shown is 13-6-6.




Ok, now the story. A group of us gals are getting together next weekend to sew. We've selected a secret location and there are eight of us. Four of us want to do this quilt. They've bought their kits (sold at the Fabric Patch) and are ready to go. They want MOI to teach them. Yeah, right I said. So I decided to get a head start because I don't want to get to our sewing "retreat" and learn myself AS I'm teaching them.


So, I sewed my panels which was easy enough. Then I started putting the strips all together to make the quilt. On my next post, I'll show you the strips and how they come together to make this heart bargello. The other gals won't mind that I've gotten this far. This quilt looks complicated and I'm sure they're just glad they can *gulp* rely on me to show them how to do it. And I needed a head start so that I can figure it out. And I've discovered it's not difficult at all.


So that's what's been going on around here. DH just left to run a few errands and asked me "what are you going to do while I'm gone?" I said "I don't know...." YEAH RIGHT! I'm off to my sewing studio.


Have a great week everyone! Be watching for Bargello, Part 2.

2 comments:

Rhoto said...

Hi Donna! 'Missed ya on PR recently... 'Thought you might be out & about with your new camera. GAL, have you been busy!! Looks intriguing. Have fun quilt teaching, eh! Look forward to Part 2!!
Soft hug,
Rhonda in Montreal

Charisma said...

HEllo--I am so glad--that I will be benefiting from these sewing adventures next weekend! HA!
I really need to start my panels!