Monday, August 13, 2007

Another Family Reunion

Just when I thought I'd blogged about my family reunion, up comes DH's family reunion. But theirs is different than ours. Ours....we get together the third weekend each July religiously. Theirs...they haven't gotten together since 1987! Phew!

So, here is a shot of just the second generation....the cousins! DH is the tall man in the back. This shot has at least 2 cousins missing....DH's twin brother and sister. They couldn't/wouldn't come. Their loss!

I cannot tell you how welcoming this bunch is. They were so warm to DH and I and it was fun because we were all in the same boat. NO ONE KNEW EACH OTHER!

We had name tags that had our names on them and who our parent was. DH's said he was Floyd's son, so everyone would know who he was. I forgot to mention, this is DH's father's side of the family. DH's father is one of 9 siblings. Only the youngest is left alive. And then come the cousins. Take a close look at that picture. Some cousins are approaching 80 (I think). DH is the youngest of his cousins. In my family, I'm third youngest among all the cousins.

Anyway, we had a great time. DH had never met most of these people. There were about 50 of us who showed up. We had a potluck luncheon and talked our heads off!

I still couldn't get over how much fun it was AND....I got them to have another one next year. I told them how "we" meet once a year, same time and so they've decided to claim the first Saturday each August as "their" time. So....this time next year...I'll have more pictures.

There was one group shot with all of us in it, but since I was in it, I didn't get a shot of it. I will await whoever has that shot to send it to me. DH and I would love to see it.

1 comment:

Bev said...

Donna, I don't know if you have anyone in either family doing the ancestry and family tree stuff, but these reunions are the perfect opportunity to get names, birthdates and anything else that you can. I am knee deep in the ancestry and it's certainly more difficult as you begin to lose some of the older folks. It has been a huge help to have lists from past family reunions.

Seeing your picture of all the cousins reminded me that I miss mine!