Thursday, July 19, 2007

Christmas in July

In my hometown, it's Christmas in July. Up this week for my local quilt shop called Fabric Patch, they gave me the below strip quilt to make for them as a sample to hang in their shop. Here it is on my design wall. (double clicking on the pic will enlarge it greatly) It was very simple to make. It ended up being quite small...42x48 inches. Just the right size to "throw" over a sofa or loveseat at Christmastime to decorate.

Here is a close up of the cute snowmen carrying a tree. It's part of a panel of fabric that was cut for this quilt. The row of trees at the top of this shot is also a part of the same panel.


For this shot below, I used a strip of the striped fabric and then fussy cut the snowmen off of a panel and then backed them in white (cause the blue showed through) and then I stitched them down onto the blue stripes and frayed the edges with a toothbrush. It made a nice effect and easier than using "steam a seam" to iron them down. They won't come up at all either.


Here is the pattern sheet the quilt shop gave me. As you can see, very simple strips of fabric sewn together. The yellow stars are appliqued and stitched down. The light blue snowflakes are also appliqued, but not sewn down. To sew all around those curvy edges would have been a PITN.



So, it's been delivered to the quilt shop and they've given me my next projects. Fabric gift bags. I've already made one out of Christmas fabric (I told you it was Christmas in July here) and one out of some mod 70's type fabric. More later...

I'm off this weekend to a family reunion at the ocean. We do this every 3rd weekend in July. Been going on since the 60's. We're not like some families. We ALL get along great. My cousins are more like my brothers and sisters. I'll post pictures when I get back.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

No comments: