Friday, June 8, 2007

Quilt Show---2007

And the winner is....Chocolate Heart by Judy Rector.


Allow me to begin at the beginning. We have a little festival here (operative word...little) called Sage N Sun. It's so named because that's what we have a lot of here...sagebrush 'n sunshine.

Each year there is a quilt show at the high school gym. Last year I was asked to be one of 6 judges. This event is sponsored by our local quilt store. The owner wanted someone from the community who quilts, but doesn't have an entry. That would be moi!

The owner asked me again this year to be judge. I was one of seven. We judged last night. The winner of the show is the picture above. I personally know the quilter of that quilt. It has nothing to do with my decision because I didn't look at names. I looked at quilts. Anyway, dear Judy runs a B&B in Wenatchee and from time to time my girlfriend, Charisma, and I attend quilt retreats at her B&B. It's awesome there...but I digress.



This beautiful "Lone Star" quilt was my personal favorite of the show. I just loved the colors and the angles of the stars. To each his own, right?


And this one also was a favorite. In fact, I think I will do a Double Wedding Ring. The reason I really liked this one is because...


The "rings" are made using batiks!! And I have been collecting batik fabric for a year or so and wondering what to do with them. When I saw this quilt, I knew what I was going to do with my batiks. Isn't it beautiful?

I took a ton of pictures and will post them from time to time here so you all (all? Is there anyone out there?) can see them. They are just lovely to look at and very inspiring.

So..conclusion? Quilter or no...if you ever get the opportunity to see a quilt show, GO! The quilts are beautiful. Even to a non-quilter.

Incidently, one of the judges last night was a co-worker from my office. He is a retired Detective with the Sheriff's Department and knows NOTHING about sewing, let alone quilting. He was impressed with what he saw. So there!

Please...if you read this blog and actually get through it all without falling asleep...leave a comment! I would love to hear from you.

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Charisma said...

HEy Donna, I actually liked the same quilt that you liked the best--The funny thing is--I would look at a quilt and think--geez that quilt has such pretty colors--and it seemed to always be the same person that had made all of these EYE catching quilts and I believe that is hers as well.Anyway--I hope you had a good weekend!

Donna Hodgson said...

Charisma...funny thing is...Judy's quilt wasn't even one of my top 4 (we voted for 4 in each catagory).
There was another larger heart bargello there using purple/green, so how did these judges know to vote for Judy's? That's what I want to know. It is beautiful, but so were the other bargellos. I just don't get it and I seriously doubt they'll invite me back next year...but Cindy says they will. It's all a matter of choice/taste.